Thursday, September 30, 2010

TLC (minus the T-Boz and the Left-Eye)

The was:    

   



The is:





What happened:

Fall weather has finally arrived in the Triangle!  And nothing goes better with rainy, cool weather than a big bowl of spicy chicken chili.  I was super-excited about this chili because it is a really simple recipe and because, let's face it, who doesn't love a delicious chicken chili?  I don't have classes on Thursdays, so I usually spend the whole day at work; however, I had today off to study for tomorrow morning's exam.  That means I really had all day to sneak into the kitchen and see how my chili was doing.  It all started this morning when I dusted off the ol' crockpot (I'm serious, guys, I actually had to dust it...  I obviously need to clean more often.  Or maybe just use my crockpot more often!) and then lazily dumped all the above ingredients in.  That's right, this was overall a totally lazy process.  Actually, that's not true - I did have to chop that onion.  But even that took minimal effort.  Anyway, I threw everything in (except the salt and pepper, I forgot it and, in the end, it didn't need it), set it on low, and left it to cook until about 6PM this evening.  Okay okay, that's just slightly inaccurate.  I did let it cook that long, but I definitely didn't just leave it - in fact I probably checked on it about every 45 minutes.  I wasn't actually worried that it wasn't working - crockpots are pretty much fail-safe.  I was just procrastinating.  It's really what I do best.  Why do you think I'm updating this instead of cramming right now?  Oh well, I do consider this entire day a success even if I got minimal studying done because technically I worked really hard today...  I did spend the whole day 'cooking' after all.

2 comments:

  1. Recipe, please? Link or citation, or if it's your own, just a copy?

    I read in a magazine that you're not, under any circumstances, to open the crockpot while it's doing its magic. It interrupts some vital cooking process or something.

    Hope the studying went well.

    Loved the thank you note, btw.

    Also love the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The recipe is actually very simple, and it is just a mish-mash of a few chicken chili recipes that I scouted on the internet. You're definitely supposed to leave the crockpot closed, and I did while I was making it... I just peeked through the glass lid a lot.

    Recipe:
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
    1 can black beans
    1 can kidney beans
    1 can chili beans
    1 can (8 oz) tomato paste
    1 can Rotel w/ habaneiros
    3 large chicken breasts (I prefer boneless/skinless)
    1 package McCormick Chili Seasoning
    1 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp paprika

    Basically, throw everything into the crockpot, stir, then lay the chicken breasts on top. Cook for 10 hours on low. 30 minutes before you plan to serve, take the chicken out and shred it, then return it to the pot.

    Let me know if you try it and if you make any changes. It was a little spicy, but not much. Actually, on the Sarah Spice Scale, it might be a zero, but for me it was the perfect amount. I hope you like if you make it!

    ReplyDelete