Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Icing on the Cake

The Was:




















The Is:
















What Happened:

I put Obama on a cake!  This is actually going to be a birthday cake for Jonathan's brother, Christopher.  Christopher is a big-time Republican, and when we first met, I had just carved Obama's face on a pumpkin.  He gave me a hard time for liking Obama, and ever since then I have bought him greeting cards with Obama on them.  I don't know if you know this, but there are Obama cards for every occasion, and Christopher has received them all over the past couple of years.  This year, in addition to his Obama birthday card, he will be receiving an Obama cake.

One of my favorite things that I learned in my cake decorating class was how to trace the outline of a picture and then transfer it to your cake.  We practiced using the outline of a cupcake, and we had the option of using a stencil of a clown or something like that.  Pssshhh, amateurs.  I knew that I would be using this technique for something even better - Obama!  The outline helped me figure out where to fill in with icing, but it was still difficult.  It didn't help that my stencil got smudged and that my lighter color of icing ended up not being light enough at first, forcing me to add extra white icing to the mix.  If I had it to do over again (and let's face it, I'll probably do it again), I will save some white icing to fill in instead of just leaving that area bare and letting the white background show through.  I will also use less piping gel on my outline, so that it doesn't smear.  I will also check my colors side by side before I put them on the cake.

This cake was really fun to make...  I think it will be even more fun to see Christopher's reaction when I give it to him.

1 comment:

  1. This is absolutely amazing... not surprising, since I've seen your pumpkins throughout the years (*giggle* that sounds dirty), but definitely amazing. Waaaay better than zombies haha.... Now I really want to take that class too!

    ReplyDelete